Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Crash Response

*a letter from the lock repair man to his employer

Mr. Davis,

I am writing you to inform you of my resignation from the lock repair store. I am leaving due to the constant and ridiculous conflict between your customers and my appearance. Apparently, no one trusts a Latino with tattoos and a shaved head. People are consistently suspicious and nervous around me; I am simply tired of having to prove myself to ignorant individuals. I hope you can understand that constant prejudice has ruined my experience within this job.

-Your former employer.

**wow this is not creative at all; sorry guys.

1 comment:

Ms. Murphy said...

Very interesting way to approach this assignment, through a resignation letter. I have to wonder if this character would have faced as much discrimination had he been in another profession, such as a computer repair man. Before reading your piece I hadn't considered whether he would have been so viciously treated had he pursued a different profession. Sadly, I believe most everyone prejudges people based on appearance, and getting over preconceived stereotypes is not a strong suit of people. It is hard to think differently when even Disney movies help reinforce the biases common to Caucasian culture.