Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Digital Storytelling


The concept of allowing students to produce these digital stories is very appealing to me. While we were watching the shorts, with no disrespect to the writer's, I kept thinking about how much more effective they were when accompanied with sound, personal photos and music. Writing is already so personal; combining it with more aspects of someone only strengthens the voice and meaning of the work.
I really think the potential on this concept is huge. I know as a secondary ed student that when I was given anything other then a traditional essay I put a lot of thought and effort into it's appeal; especially if i knew it was to be read or seen by classmates. Working in this video media, I think it really shows students how writing is everywhere. Even though you're making a slide show with music and animation, the most important part are certainly the words being said.
The only danger I see with this idea are the students who are going to put way too much effort into the pictures and music (or picking unrelated items) and not enough on the writing. Carefully planned work instructions can prevent this, and I believe the students would understand that their writing must be strong and convincing if images and music are to accompany it. Your writing must allow yourself the opportunity to provide for the digital medium; that means highly descriptive, imaginative writing.
Personally I really enjoyed the digital shorts. I really think its a way to demonstrate the power of effective writing, and its a good way to motivate students to write. Allowing children to express themselves and show you a little about themselves is always a good way to intrigue a student.

No comments: