The anxieties and concerns I have towards a future in instructing writing come from my observing experience. While observing in a 9th grade world history classroom, I observed that many children had little writing experience and, even worse, they hated it. The teacher often struggled with the children to motivate them towards simple writing assignments. When I had opportunities to work with some students individually I noticed that many had multiple issues with the writing process in general; sometimes so many I didn't know where to start. It made me worry about myself as a future instructor and the dilemma between helping students who are behind opposed to keeping up with the standards for the rest of the students. It seemed impossible to "catch kids up" at this level.
Another issue of great concern were the mandates of NCLB. One day while the students were writing a persuasive essay (in preparation for the national standardized test which NCLB requires) I was helping a student who was struggling with constructing an essay. When he had nothing to write about, I suggested that he utilize a life experience and use that to persuade the reader. Quickly, the teacher dismissed my suggestion noting that the nation test required students use "prior knowledge;" which apparently is defined as strictly to the classroom, not through life experience. I find the national requirements extremely hurtful towards students who both struggle and pursue writing. It seems many instructors are now simply "teaching to the test," rather than a love for writing.
I consider myself a writer simply because I think of myself as a reflective individual. I chose English as my minor because I enjoy both reading and writing; and wanted to improve in both fields. While in high school I often wrote for myself outside of school, I now find myself rarely, if ever, doing such an activity. I guess my writing through course work fulfills my need to express myself. The writing I complete is now mostly academic, which I would like to change, but never find myself actually taking the time to do so.
The good experiences I have had through writing are mainly through self-satisfaction. When you know you wrote something you were proud of. Sometimes during my college writing experiences I find myself writing too much toward the reader, or the professor. In high school I felt much more free to be myself within my work. It's a great feeling when you know you've placed yourself in what you have just written. Other good experiences simply stem from praise form either peers or teachers. I love when I can make people laugh with my writing, which I often try to do through more personal assignments. Also, I enjoy the few times in my life when instructors have taken me aside to tell me I really should pursue writing. It instills confidence which I find to be very important in writing; if you're afraid of your audience, you're never going to produce quality work.
Oh crap, I'm out of time...I'll pick this up later...
Monday, July 2, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment