Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Boyz

Why are boys reluctant readers? If you want to classify boys as being reluctant readers in the classroom, I think it's because of a vast range of reasons towards why most adolescents challenge authority, social norms, and even themselves to 'discover' something. Reading in the classroom, or at least my high school experience, was very structured, and while I could connect with and enjoy a lot of the material we were reading, a lot of my friends would often refer to it as 'pointless,' 'stupid,' 'dull' and so on. I think it comes down to connecting with student interest and the whole concept of an adolescent. It almost seems like going with the flow of things is wrong and rejecting anything given to you by an adult is cool. Student choice in the classroom, definitely the English classroom, should be encouraged. Who reads like they did in school when they are an adult? You don't wait for someone to assign you a book, you tell a friend or vice-versa; or you seek one out. Very few times in school I was allowed to choose what I wanted to read.

1 comment:

moosta said...

Ru-fi-OOOOOOOOOOOO!