Monday, July 9, 2007

Where I'm From


I'm from stiff green carpet, itchy bed sheets and box fans. I'm from Bisquick pancakes, crackling bacon, and a sweaty glass of milk. I'm from the tyranny of my grandmother and the ways I found freedom.

I'm from a stone filled driveway and a soft grassy lawn. I'm from the sounds of laughter, jet skis and booming fireworks. I'm from sun burned bodies putting on damp life jackets; later resting near the warmth of a bonfire.

I'm from dares of jackknifes and cannonballs; a giant inflatable whale causing splashes, screams, and shivers. I'm from 'noodle' fights and skipping stone contests; smelly fish, mucky feet and wet towels. I'm from freeze tag, lazy hammocks and lawn darts being hurled just inches from my toes. I'm from the ignorance of childhood, the annual summer vacation, and a sleepy car ride home.

4 comments:

Anthony said...

Awesome picture! I like your noodle fights, I cant relate to that for sure

moosta said...

I like your "sweaty glass of milk" image because it surprised me. When I read "sweaty" I never guessed that "glass of milk" was coming next. I, too, ate a good deal of Bisquick pancakes as a kid. This whole breakfast sentence made me start thinking about powdered milk. So gross!

Samantha said...

The entire poem definetely took me back, but I loved the line where you said, "I am from the ignorance of childhood". That line is very powerful because I think we all would like to have some of the ignorance back.

Shannon said...

I loved the story of summertime that unravels in your poem. The imagery you choose is very rich and powerful. You definitely create a very vivid picture in this poem. I feel like I am experiencing moments of your childhood along with you.