Friday, July 20, 2007

Self-Evaluation


Before I get going on this self-evaluation, I would just like to thank the entire class for being excellent and insightful 'students' and allowing myself to get a lot out of the lesson. I hope you all enjoyed it; I know I did. Thank you.

Planning and Organization: Planning for this unit started out as a real struggle. After grasping what the text was about I was concerned as to how far it could be effectively transitioned into a lesson and concept for ourselves as future teachers. The book provided an interesting and important theme, yet I felt like there wasn't much room for discussion and would be too much writing for one day's lesson. I changed my lesson around a few times until I was excited about what was to be accomplished, and I think it worked out pretty well; I believe many of you took something from it. I was very nervous about the idea of people opening up themselves in front of the class, but overall I think it worked.

Teaching Presence and Authority: This was definitely the challenge of the lesson for me. I had my unit planned and had run through it on multiple occasions for timing reasons; however, when I was up there in front of class it all changed. I became concerned about time, and about stopping those who were still writing. I need to be more concise with my directions and clear as to what is needed and when. I really want to present a comfortable figure in front of my classroom, especially in lessons such as this, and I feel I accomplished that. Authoritativeness, however, needs to be shown more at appropriate times.

Incorporation of Writing: I feel that I accurately translated the theme of my text. The main point of the book was to realize yourself as a writer and as an individual to strengthen ability and drive. I think through discussing the main points of the book, such as memories, images, and life, that it came across through the writing activities. Hopefully the writing prompts benefited the class in seeing that there is power in personal, creative writing. Next time, to allow students to become more engaged I think I would have a discussion or 'think time' before each write; perhaps to help get them started.

Meaningful Connection with Students: I really think my classmates provided a wonderful environment for the activities I had planned. I was really pleased with what came out of the lesson; it seems people enjoyed the prompts and got something out of them (at least a cool journal right?). I think it's sometimes hard to share writing such as this, and I was glad to see people were willing to. I think the lesson showed that for some students it aids in writing, and if anything at all, can engage a student or class to provide for creativity, and therefore, effect.

Overall Grade: 85

9 comments:

Ms. Murphy said...

Your creativity in presenting a book that was bereft of teaching activities was astounding. The idea of creating our own journals really exemplified your outlook as a teacher. What you strove to do was take a lesson and give it personal meaning to each student. Becoming a superb teacher requires one to look outside the normal confines for a way to invest student interest. Creativity is essential to forming the bond between content and student. Your lesson proves you have a wealth of original teachable ideas which will evolve with practice and time.

In retrospect, I wasn't as concerned with set time limits as my colleagues. To me, writing activities can stretch far beyond or fall extremely short of what lesson plans dictate. The moment to watch for is when writing leads to real discussion and thus, true learning moments. Of course, one must put some bounds on the writing prompts or else you run the danger of losing your instruction purposes for the day. I do believe you rebounded from the extensive writing prompts with honest reflection, which helped us tie together our activities with the content.

Although you maintained a well rounded lesson plan, your teaching voice came out a bit under developed. I can only imagine how hard it is to stand before your peers and experiment with your voice as a teacher (unfortunately, I soon will have that daunting task myself), but it seemed that you were coming to this lesson as a student more than a teacher. You lead the discussion nicely, but the reluctance of your voice at times lead me to believe you weren't comfortable with your stance. Needless to say, being comfortable while directing your colleagues is vastly difficult and finding your teaching style takes numerous efforts, but I have faith that you are testing and experimenting with your voice as teacher.

Overall, I found your presentation insightful and well thought-out, most definitely worth an A. Those areas you did struggle with are part of that ever evolving teacher identity; a thing that takes time to develop.

Sharon K said...

Brian--
I loved how you started us off with an activity and it was something that we could not only personalize, but keep for future writing. You seemed to be very prepared and were able to direct us on how to do our activities and then transition to the next. While I understand it is a little overwhelming up there in front of everyone, always act confident anyway and don't put yourself down at all. I have a tendency to do this as well because I am only an English minor and I feel I am not as competent as those who are more well-read and have written more. But, maybe as minors, we can have a more understanding attitude when it comes to our students feeling incompetent to do what we are asking. We see that we are working ourselves through this and it will be up to us to show them how to do it from our own strategies we employ to keep up with those that are more adept. There were a couple of times when your directions were not as clear as they could have been. That is an area I can relate to in my group teach. I know what I want students to do, I sometimes don't convey it as well as I should. So my note to self was that I really have to nail down my directions as well as key questions I want them to respond to during class discussion. I think we will get better at this with practice.
You have a nice classroom manner which I think your students are going to really like. You seem very relaxed and not uptight. You will be a teacher that kids will view as approachable. You are going to be great!

moosta said...

Brian - First of all, I love my journal. I love it so much that I wish that I had had more time to make it and more time to write in it. But that's largely because I work slower than molasses in January. Couple that with a little narcissim and... In short, this is meant to be a compliment. I will definitely consider making time for my students to make or decorate their own journals.

Someone mentioned your wonderful voice - It's really true! If you had some lamps and the flourescent lights were off I think all those hyped-up kids would feel really relaxed. I certainly felt relaxed, and therefore able to learn, during your whole presentation.

Someone else mentioned the order of the writing prompts. I agree that you chose well, and I was surprised to read that you changed your plan a few times because it looked so effortless. I was actually experiencing some jealousy over your book choice. With all that I've been studying (for both my Group and Indy Teach) about grammar, it was so nice to have a day on developing personal voice. I learned more about myself (including, but not limited to, myself as a writer) during your class than I have in the whole rest of the semester thus far.

Regarding advice, I'll tell you what I told you before. Please be proud to be teaching what you're teaching, never apologetic. Honestly, there were times when I was really getting into it and then you would say something like, "I know it's a little cheesy..." and I'd be thinking, wait, I'm a nerd. I'm supposed to be embarassed by this! However, I know you did that for the benefit of people who don't love sharing all of their most intimate sentiments. Few students will be like me, I realize, but just sell it. The kids can know you as that crazy guy who loves writing. Art for art's sake!

Anthony said...

Brian, I would first like to say that your indy teach went well. I really liked how you let us make our journals and the type of subjects you had us write about were enagaging. You had a tough book to come up with a lesson for the class. The lesson you came up probably took some thinking. It really showed that you took time to think through your lesson. You came up with a good lesson that was fun and taught us what the author of your book was trying to get across.

The crumbled paper throwing session was a good way to loosen the enviroment up, as well as get a message across. The only critique I would have is that you seemed a little to apologetic. I could only imagine as a man to have to talk about feelings and emotions in front of other men. But at the same time it is something that we as teachers are going to have to come across down the road.

Overall, I thought you had a great indy teach and prepared a great lesson for the class. Good Job!

Anonymous said...

Brian, I truly enjoyed making the journal. I think this is something that our students would enjoy as well. I felt a sense of ownership with my journal and think that students will as well. I have realized this before but it is really true that you need to connect with your students and allow them to make the lesson some what of their own. I really saw first hand what this was about because I wanted to keep writing in "my journal." I also saw the importance of giving students a focal point when writing, or a visual. The Katrina picture really gave me a great idea for a story that I would write.

I think that the only downfall that you had was time management which you already suggested in your self-eval. This is the most challenging thing for us, I think. It is just important to set limits and say, "ok put your pencils down, we are moving on." You have to be consistent and like you said authoratative. Other than that I think you did a great job and gave some ideas that I will carry over into my classroom.

kelly granito said...

Brian,
Overall grade "85%?" How humble of you. I think your teach went very well, much better than a B. Your activity was perfect- the journal making and the various writing prompts for the journal itself was fun and engaging and I think you did a great job of conducting an insightful discussion with the class. I can see this activity going over very well with high school students. It's fun to have a solid product (the journal) to take home and brag about after all the hard work.

I definately understand your hesitation in using phrases like "lets explore our feelings through writing!" We all know what comes off as sounding cliche and rhetorical...I can tell by your use of the Larry David photo that you have somewhat of a cynical nature and a good understanding of what sounds kindof silly to a group of college and even high school students...however, "exloring our feelings" is essentially the whole point of personal creative writing, especially with journal making. Maybe as a teacher you could find a way to get this point across without the self-deprecating sarcastic use of the common "feeling" phrases. There will always be 16 year old boys who think it's "really gay" to explore ourselves, but too bad. One day they'll probably appreciate the lesson you were trying to conduct!

Shannon said...

Brian,

I enjoyed the honesty of your self-reflection and your own personal recognition of areas of need, success, and growth. Stopping to consider these things is one of the most powerful things a teacher can do on the road to becoming a better teacher.

First, as most of your peers have noted. I genuinely loved creating the personal journal. As a teacher of 6 years in the public high schools, I was thinking, "Man, why didn't I ever think of this! This is a great idea!"

You were really able to bring home the idea of "personalizing" writing, by allowing us to create a space all our own. This would be a great way to spend an entire day with your students. I imagine they would welcome the idea to creatively represent themselves.

Your writing promts as well were engaging and easy to get into. You might consider having a few pieces of writing of your own ready to share, as a model of what you are looking for. Students love to hear their teachers read their own writing. Somehow it makes us more approachable and authentic.

The times that I had some trouble following you as a student were when your instructions were weak or unclear. One suggestion might be to write out your instructions clearly and keep them in front of you at all times. I like to do this for myself, along with any important questions I will be posing for the day. This way, I know that I am asking something that my students will understand. If there is still some confusion, I can write the exact directions/questions on the board.

Doing this along with giving your students a specific time parameter will help them to acheive everthing you are hoping to accomplish for the day. All of this comes with time and with practice. I am certain that you will get the knack of it very soon!

As others have said as well, dont apologize for the work that you ask your students to do. Relish it. Engage in it. Show them that you can do it, and that you also enjoy it. Their attitudes will follow.

I think you learned a lot about yourself as a future teacher during this activity Brian.

Great job overall A

John Philip Roberts said...

Brian,
Some stand-out aspects of your lesson: A logical, hands-on progression from discussion to writing activity to the production of something meaningful; good adaptation of your text (you chose appropriate excerpts); nicely implemented peer-review system (asking us to relate why our pictures were important but making optional the reading of our pieces).
I'm choosing to call your lesson "Recipes for Interiority," which means virtually any piece of good writing teaches so much more than what the piece is actually "about." So in this case a woman's written ramblings on how she enjoys her life can admirably instruct in how to express one's own life, how to perceive more astutely, how to build a more vibrant inner life.
Nice work!

Marla said...

Brian,
I really enjoyed your creative lesson!! It was a little weird thinking about why I write. The first answer that came to mind was, "I just do." I guess I never really realized how much power writing has. If you think about it, a couple of words can either make or break a person so, taking that moment for reflection was nice.
I think the journals were also an excellent idea. Making the journals was just as engaging as the writing exercises that you used for writing inside of them, nice touch.